Subject: Re: NetBSD usage in embedded environments
To: Stefan Sonnenberg-Carstens <s.sonnenberg@coolspot.de>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/24/2003 17:18:12
> many thanks to the posts regarding the "seek" question.
> This question might sound a bit like a flame question, but
> I have to ask it, and perhaps this is the wrong list.
> How many companies and/or projects use NetBSD to build their
> embedded devices with ?

not flame, but just stupid question.

if you want to use NetBSD in Your embedded app, do it.

amount of companies using it won't affect quality of your product, as it
depends on you.

and amount of companies (or people) using something doesn't define it's
quality.

windows is perfect example, last years linux too...

> I saw the wasabi homepage, searched google etc. but the information is
> not clear.
> Almost every company states "we use linux", which IMHO falls definitly under
> some hype thing. After 6 years with linux, I don't like it. It's not what

about 3-4 years ago i said linux will go more and more crappy and will be
as bad as windoze in 5-10 years, because linux freaks wan't to compete
with windows. looks 5 were better quess...

anyway my opinion is that any unix, even as good as NetBSD, shouldn't be
used in embedded environments, as it's just not designed for it!!!

unix is for workstations and servers, able to do lots of work in parallel,
handle lots of concurrent traffic etc.., not doing few simple things.

yes it can do simple things, but on oversized hardware, unless you wan't
to say that 8-16MB RAM, 100MIPS CPU and megs of flash isn't oversized
hardware for MP3 player.

look at www.ubicom.com - IMHO it's right direction.

hmm... except that in system programming specs are not available, and one
have to buy their devel. kit, and devel kit is windoze based.