Subject: RE: random core dumps while swapping
To: 'David Laight' <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Huy Vu <hvu@hyperchip.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/17/2003 17:10:01

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2ECD1.F47036F0

> My sparc system is generating random core file while swapping
> heavily.  I don't know if this is a sparc specific fault, or a
> generic one - I haven't tried the same test on any other systems.

I have seen this exact problem of random coredump on PPC platform (macppc).
At times it seems like everything was generating coredump.  What we did then
was merge in some of the "pmap" fixes for PPC in early November 2002.  Since
then we have not seen the problem.

I thought the increased stability was only specific to the macppc machdep
but since you're on the SPARC this may have something to do with the machine
independent portion (UVM perhaps)..  If my memory is correct, there were
some UVM protection changes that I had to merge in as well.

Huy

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2ECD1.F47036F0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: random core dumps while swapping</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; My sparc system is generating random core file =
while swapping</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; heavily.&nbsp; I don't know if this is a sparc =
specific fault, or a</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; generic one - I haven't tried the same test on =
any other systems.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I have seen this exact problem of random coredump on =
PPC platform (macppc).&nbsp; At times it seems like everything was =
generating coredump.&nbsp; What we did then was merge in some of the =
&quot;pmap&quot; fixes for PPC in early November 2002.&nbsp; Since then =
we have not seen the problem.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I thought the increased stability was only specific =
to the macppc machdep but since you're on the SPARC this may have =
something to do with the machine independent portion (UVM =
perhaps)..&nbsp; If my memory is correct, there were some UVM =
protection changes that I had to merge in as well.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Huy</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>