Subject: Re: Audio problems...
To: Quentin Garnier <netbsd@quatriemek.com>
From: Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/12/2003 15:05:26
On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Quentin Garnier wrote:

> Le Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:22:02 -0500 (EST)
> Adam K Kirchhoff a =E9crit :
> [...]
> > 	I first started off with an SB Live! sound card in this machine.
> > The emuxki driver detected the card, and it ran flawlessly for about 12
> > hours straight.  Then, without any warning, any application trying to
> > touch /dev/audio would give the error "resource temporarily unavailable:
> > /dev/audio".  Mind you, nothing is actually using the device at the
> > time. Rebooting is the only way to get the device back.   Prior to that,
> > everything was running fine, both recording (thanks to whowever get that
> > working) and playback.
>
> I got that today ; it happened after mplayer hit an assertion failure
> somewhere in libpthread. I had to kill -9 it, and then /dev/audio1 (my SB
> Live!) was temporarily (but still for a long time) unavailable.

Well, it's cool that it was just temporary.  Guess I didn't wait long
enough :-)  Someone else has reported the same problem on -current as well
a couple weeks ago, so now with yet another report, I can be sure that
it's not just limited to me...

In fact...  Now that I think about it, I believe the first time I
experienced this problem was when I was trying to run myth2 through linux
emulation and the game crashed.  It probably has something to do with apps
dying while holding onto the audio device.

Adam