Subject: Re: have scsibus sleep only one time
To: Christoph Badura <bad@bsd.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/10/2003 21:16:36
On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 01:31:30AM +0100, Christoph Badura wrote:
> Actually, what business do we have resetting the SCSI busses?
>
> 1) this wreaks havoc with scsibusses with multiple initiators on the bus
> (vulgo: HA clusters).  We'll have to deal with that anyway at one point.

Other HBAs on the bus should also be able to deal with a reset

> 2) most, if not all, of the host adapters/firmware already do a reset on
> boot, sometimes controlled by per-adapter configuration settings.  why bother
> a second time.

What about adapters which don't have firware ? For example a i386 HBA in a
non-i386 host

> (The same goes for resetting ATA disks.  The only effects I seem to be able
> to witness is that a) the bios sleep and suspend setting get lost. b) the
> bios-programmed geometry gets lost.  Both aren't exactly bonus points in my
> book.)

We explicitely want to start from a clean config, so that we're in the same
state on any hardware we run on. There isn't always a BIOS to initialise things
And we don't always want to keep what the firmware has done. For example, a
sparc64 booted from network won't be able to use its IDE disks without a reset.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>