Subject: Re: How to enable PCI devices?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 03/07/2003 23:47:06
On 2003.03.07 12:57 Martin Husemann wrote:

> > Now the question of the day is: What is the proper way to get the
> > PCI devices enabled?
> sys/arch/sparc64/dev/pci_machdep.c does it when creating pci bus tags.
... and also replaces pci_enumerate_bus_generic() with a MD function
that walks along the OF device tree and enables the device bevore
calling pci_probe_device. At least as I understand this code.=20
Meanwhile I noticed that macppc solves this problem by walking along the
OF device tree in pci_attach_hook() and enabling the devices according
to the information from the OF.=20
Ofppc is split up in different platforms. pci_enumerate_bus() is global
for the port, but pci_attach_hook() is speciffic for the platform. This
way it is possible that every platform supplies its own, platform
speciffic code to enable the devices. This may be more appropriate for
ofppc. (?)=20
I think I have to learn more about Openfirmware now. ;-)=20
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen