Subject: Re: resize_ffs (was: Re: JFS)
To: None <>
From: Jonathan Perkin <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/25/2003 20:24:50
* On 2003-02-25 at 19:41 GMT, Brian Chase wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 05:26:24PM +0100, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> >
> > > I suspect that the FS has to be unmounted to be resized?
> >
> > Yah, I think that applies with the FreeBSD growfs, too.
> But it doesn't apply to JFS under AIX or XFS under IRIX.  I must
> admit, I found being able to grow both of those, live, rather handy on
> a couple of servers I've managed.  In the case of XFS under IRIX, the
> xfs_growfs man page states that "the filesytem must be mounted to be
> grown."

Solaris growfs also allows growing while the filesystem is mounted,
which we took advantage of over the weekend to upgrade our master
content server.  However, it does write-lock the filesystem...

Thankfully, you're not forced to do it this way though, and can of
course grow an unmounted filesystem :-)

Jonathan Perkin - Internet Operations Engineer - BBC Internet Services
24x7 Hotline: +44 (0)1628 407 777 (x37777) -