Subject: Re: resize_ffs (was: Re: JFS)
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/25/2003 11:37:04
On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 05:26:24PM +0100, Jochen Kunz wrote:

>  > I suspect that the FS has to be unmounted to be resized?
>
> Yah, I think that applies with the FreeBSD growfs, too.

But it doesn't apply to JFS under AIX or XFS under IRIX.  I must admit,
I found being able to grow both of those, live, rather handy on a couple
of servers I've managed.  In the case of XFS under IRIX, the xfs_growfs
man page states that "the filesytem must be mounted to be grown."
I can't imagine why that must be the case.

-brian.