Subject: Re: JFS
To: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/25/2003 09:01:37
On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 11:40:15AM +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

 > Growing a file system is not directly a file system function.  It's
 > more akin to newfs.  FreeBSD currently has both snapshots and growfs;
 > it should be relatively trivial to migrate it to NetBSD.

NetBSD now has "resize_ffs" which can grow and shrink.

Regarding snapshots, some people consider the way they're implemented
in FFS to be somewhat of a kludge ... and certainly the way that the
file system is quiesced needs to be reworked before we can consider
putting it into NetBSD.  Frank van der Linden has some thoughts on this.

That said, LFS is the right technology to be using for a lot of this
stuff ... and Konrad and yamt have been doing a lot of terrific work
to stabilize it lately.  Maybe they could post a list of TODO items
or known issues?