Subject: Re: JFS
To: john heasley <>
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/25/2003 11:40:15

On Thursday, 20 February 2003 at  3:28:48 +0000, john heasley wrote:
> Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 03:28:08PM -0800,
>> On Wednesday 19 February 2003 12:18, Jochen Kunz wrote:
>>> What I really want for NetBSD is the AdvFS from Tru64 / DEC UNIX /
>>> OSF/1. This file system is _really_ advanced with its explicit
>>> separation of data storage layer and data management layer. Reliable,
>>> fast, very flexible storage management, you can grow and _shrink_ a R/W
>>> mounted FS, move it to an other disk / logical volume, take snapshots,
>>> ACLs, log structured / jornaled (meta- and optional file data), all the
>>> standard Unix functionality, ...
>> Growing and shrinking a FS would be great! Snapshots come in a close second.
>> So who gets to start on it? :-)
> these are the features i'm after

Growing a file system is not directly a file system function.  It's
more akin to newfs.  FreeBSD currently has both snapshots and growfs;
it should be relatively trivial to migrate it to NetBSD.

Finger for PGP public key
Please note: we block mail from major spammers, notably
See for further details.

Version: GnuPG v1.2.0 (FreeBSD)