Subject: Re: JFS
To: john heasley <heas@shrubbery.net>
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/25/2003 11:40:15
--YrlhzR9YrZtruaFS

On Thursday, 20 February 2003 at  3:28:48 +0000, john heasley wrote:
> Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 03:28:08PM -0800, netbsd99@sudog.com:
>> On Wednesday 19 February 2003 12:18, Jochen Kunz wrote:
>>>
>>> What I really want for NetBSD is the AdvFS from Tru64 / DEC UNIX /
>>> OSF/1. This file system is _really_ advanced with its explicit
>>> separation of data storage layer and data management layer. Reliable,
>>> fast, very flexible storage management, you can grow and _shrink_ a R/W
>>> mounted FS, move it to an other disk / logical volume, take snapshots,
>>> ACLs, log structured / jornaled (meta- and optional file data), all the
>>> standard Unix functionality, ...
>>
>> Growing and shrinking a FS would be great! Snapshots come in a close second.
>> So who gets to start on it? :-)
>
> these are the features i'm after

Growing a file system is not directly a file system function.  It's
more akin to newfs.  FreeBSD currently has both snapshots and growfs;
it should be relatively trivial to migrate it to NetBSD.

Greg
Please note: we block mail from major spammers, notably yahoo.com.
See http://www.lemis.com/yahoospam.html for further details.

--YrlhzR9YrZtruaFS

--YrlhzR9YrZtruaFS--