Subject: Re: Functional VOP_IOCTL
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Konrad Schroder <perseant@hhhh.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/24/2003 11:08:52
On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> While I don't think I mind this change, use an fcntl instead. We added
> VOP_FCNTL for this type of thing - operations that have more to do with
> the file system of the vnode than the contents of the vnode. When we add
> ACL support, we need to start using fcntls, so we might as well get used
> to it now. :-)

Well, okay, but looking back over the archives it seems like VOP_FCNTL is
meant to be even more specific than VOP_IOCTL---it affects the file
descriptor rather than the file.  The things I want to do will affect the
filesystem as a whole (I mean mount point, not the whole LFS subsystem)
and in particular they probably will not affect the vnode in hand.
Really, the operation closest scoped to what I want is mount, but I don't
think mount flags provide enough flexibility for the sort of operations I
have in mind.
						Konrad Schroder
						perseant@hhhh.org