Subject: Re: obscure bug
To: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/21/2003 11:13:22
>> >in the currently working fine kernel.
>> >Any suggestions?
>>
>> try doing a make cleandir and then a make dependall in your kernel
>> build directory, and then reboot with the resulting kernel.
>
>I did that both times. The first time created the broken kernel, the second
>created the working one, but this one has DDB/DEBUG/etc in it, which I don't
>want, because they're quite spammy.

i find ddb is good to have, though you may wish to add ddb.onpanic=0
to your /etc/sysctl.conf file.

>> that said...
>>
>> what platform is this?  i386?  what's your securelevel set to before
>> you startx?  are you using the aperture driver (assuming you're using
>> i386)?  is your userland in sync with your kernel?  are you booting
>> from a kernel named /netbsd or do you name new kernels something else
>> when you boot them for the first time?
>
>This is i386, securelevel is 1, and yes I'm using the aperture driver. The
>kernel name is /netbsd, I keep a known-working one around as netbsd.old
>(since make install puts the old one in onetbsd) Userland and kernel are in
>sync as of right now, I was about to build userland when I noticed that
>startx panic'd the kernel. I'll give it another go around without the debug
>options, and see what happens.

try this:

(1) echo set var securelevel=-1 | gdb --write -x /dev/stdin -batch /netbsd
(2) comment out the aperture driver in your lkm.conf file
(3) reboot
(4) startx

i'd suggest that once your build completes, and all your include files
have been rebuilt, that you rebuild the aperture driver.  that has
fixed things for me in the past.  it really ought to be rebuilt each
time the kernel version changes, but it manages to work quite well
most of the time, even if you don't.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."