Subject: Re: JFS
To: Joel Wilsson <>
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/20/2003 13:03:39

On Wednesday, 19 February 2003 at 19:46:11 +0100, Joel Wilsson wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 19, 2003, at 07:19  pm, Ken Seefried wrote:
>> There is now a project to port the IBM JFS filesystem to FreeBSD.
>> JFS is a pretty good journaling filesystem; I found it to be one of
>> AIXes nicer features.  If they make much progress, this wouldn't be a
>> bad addition to NetBSD.
>> Ken
> They've been working (or at least the page has been up) on that
> for a very, very long time now, and all they have managed to do
> is port the jfsutils... which isn't hard at all. As you can see
> by looking at their patch, jfsutils is already quite portable.
> I'm afraid it'll be a long time before we see anyone actually
> using JFS under any BSD. But yes, it would be nice to have yet
> another filesystem option.

Consider this to be a vapourware project.  Somebody put me down as
project leader because I was working at IBM at the time and had a
commitment to help.  I haven't written any code, and I don't think any
worthwhile adaptation of the kernel code to BSD interfaces has taken
place.  I no longer have much interest in it myself.  Indications
under Linux are that XFS beats the pants off JFS.

Finger for PGP public key
Please note: we block mail from major spammers, notably
See for further details.

Version: GnuPG v1.2.0 (FreeBSD)