Subject: RE: JFS
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Huy Vu <hvu@hyperchip.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/20/2003 11:59:45

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2D901.785164B0

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 07:48:31AM -0700, kyle.unice@L-3com.com wrote:
> Also NetBSD is weak on its flash support.  Embedded systems need file
> systems that can tolerate being power off without warning and to have a
file
> system supporting compression.

Create root ramdisk then from this point on, the root ramdisk is read only.
This will protect "critical" files.  For other files that can tollerate FS
hit, put it out on your flash disk.

The other technique that we use is create RAMdisk for volatile storage and
checkpoint the file from volatile ramdisk to flash.  This will narrow the
corruption window but does not completely protect it.  However in practice
we found that this is sufficient.

My 2cents,
Huy

------_=_NextPart_001_01C2D901.785164B0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: JFS</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 07:48:31AM -0700, =
kyle.unice@L-3com.com wrote:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Also NetBSD is weak on its flash support.&nbsp; =
Embedded systems need file</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; systems that can tolerate being power off =
without warning and to have a file</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; system supporting compression.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Create root ramdisk then from this point on, the root =
ramdisk is read only.&nbsp; This will protect &quot;critical&quot; =
files.&nbsp; For other files that can tollerate FS hit, put it out on =
your flash disk.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>The other technique that we use is create RAMdisk for =
volatile storage and checkpoint the file from volatile ramdisk to =
flash.&nbsp; This will narrow the corruption window but does not =
completely protect it.&nbsp; However in practice we found that this is =
sufficient.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>My 2cents,</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Huy</FONT>
</P>