Subject: Re: JFS
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: The Black Hacker <blackye@break.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/20/2003 12:37:28
On Thursday, Feb 20, 2003, at 11:50 Europe/Rome, Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> Why add any further filesystems to NetBSD? We have FFS and LFS (well,
> some-
> day we'll have it :-) and we support E2FS, MSDOSFS and some other, so
> why add another (not well-tested) filesystem?

- Snapshotting
- Journaling/fastrecovery
- Dynamic partition resizing
- Dynamic slice addition/removal/clustering
- ACLs and MAC file-access-policy
- Metadata support

Enough ?

The way could be JFS, XFS or AdvFS. Personally I think that
reiser is far from beeing mature (the sole fact that creating a
 >2GB single file on a ReiserFS initialized as 32bits will make
you loos the entire partition worries me more than a bit...).

AdvFS and XFS probably have licensing problems, JFS
is likely to be easier to get into a BSD license.

Ciao,

A.