Subject: Re: JFS
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Benedikt Meurer <Benedikt.Meurer@unix-ag.uni-siegen.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/20/2003 11:50:35
On Wed, 19, Feb 2003, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> On 2003.02.19 19:50 john heasley wrote:
>
> > i don't know anything about JFS, but resisefs found in linux would
> > be an interesting feature.

Why add any further filesystems to NetBSD? We have FFS and LFS (well, some-
day we'll have it :-) and we support E2FS, MSDOSFS and some other, so
why add another (not well-tested) filesystem?

> What I really want for NetBSD is the AdvFS from Tru64 / DEC UNIX /
> OSF/1. This file system is _really_ advanced with its explicit
> separation of data storage layer and data management layer. Reliable,
> fast, very flexible storage management, you can grow and _shrink_ a R/W
> mounted FS, move it to an other disk / logical volume, take snapshots,
> ACLs, log structured / jornaled (meta- and optional file data), all the
> standard Unix functionality, ...

Well, that sounds interesting.

> Besids all that speculation: (Linux) JFS, reiserfs and (Linux) XFS are
> GPLed (?). We would need a rerelease of the FS code under a BSD license.
> Somthing that may never happen.

Hm, but I guess the AdvFS will be a similar problem, or is it BSD license?

regards,
Benedikt

    -- Henry Spencer