Subject: Re: how to bring a mounted filesystem to an almost clean state?
To: None <>
From: John Kohl <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/16/2003 16:46:43

TLS> Ding!  Read John Kohl's paper on online backup of LFS using a special
TLS> cleaner (also note that this is how WAFL does snapshots).  LFS makes
TLS> things like this very, very simple, elegant, and clean.

Wow, someone read that from 10 years ago?  Winter USENIX 1993, San

HighLight: Using a Log-structured File System for Tertiary Storage Management
John T. Kohl, University of California, Berkeley and Digital Equipment
Corporation; Carl Staelin, Hewlett-Packard Laboratories; Michael
Stonebraker, University of California, Berkeley

It's also my MS thesis and published as a TR from UC Berkeley.

It didn't go very far (to my knowledge, nobody picked it up afterwards,
and I didn't deep get into any of the interesting policy questions).
==John Kohl <>, <>
Home page: <>