Subject: Re: how to bring a mounted filesystem to an almost clean state?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/16/2003 02:33:05
On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 11:25:59PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> I find myself wanting to do this for a different reason -- I want to
> assure on system sleep (think APM or ACPI suspends) that all file
> systems are synced cleanly.

Interesting problem.

Say you do a VFS_SYNC. Is there a way to distinguish blocks written to
accomplish the VFS_SYNC from the blocks written afterward? I mean, is
there any notion of a block's "generation," where VFS_SYNC's mark the
beginning of a new generation? Having that info (I realize it might be
a tall order for that info!), this is not too complicated, right?

Dave

dyoung@ojctech.com      Engineering from the Right Brain
                        Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933