Subject: Re: root device
To: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/13/2003 07:46:33
Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:

> >  > I fully agree, the problem is to make the fake entries appearing at a
> >  > convenient place. If they are in the device tree, it's quite
> >  > straightforward.
> > I'm not entirely happy with the idea of polluting the device tree just
> > to please an emulation.
>
> Pollution is just about adding a few pseudodevices in the device tree
> (we could gather them under one compat_mach pseudodevice attached to the
> root if you wish). I'm open to other suggestions, but I don't see a
> better way of handling that for now.

What is the goal of having the complete device tree available?  Are we
trying to emulate enough functionality for the kmem-style grovellers
(yah, not 100% correct terminology but YKWIM) to work, or is there a
more practical application for having the device tree available?

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/