Subject: Re: root device
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/12/2003 18:13:26
Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com> writes:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 05:45:52PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>  > I'll point out that it would be nice to be able to have a userland
>  > tool to allow exploration of the full device tree even ignoring the
>  > emulation stuff. Having the pseudodevices at least somewhat parented
>  > would make that easier.
>
> In the case of emmanuel's suggestion, the pseudo-devices in question
> are for the sake only of the emulation.  Therefore, they should be
> faked by the emulation.

Possibly. I'm just pointing out that there are nice reasons for having
all devices reachable through one data structure. Hell, it could even
make a devfs easier by having the devfs able to reach everything going
into /dev/ by walking the tree. It just generally seems like a nice
idea.

On the other hand, I'll also point out no great harm will be caused by
not doing it, either...

Perry