Subject: Re: race condition in pthread write()?
To: Karl Janmar <karlj@mdstud.chalmers.se>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/11/2003 13:28:53
Karl Janmar <karlj@mdstud.chalmers.se> writes:

> Here is some more data:
> (gdb) info thread
>   5 Thread 0  0x485700f7 in poll () from /usr/lib/libc.so.12
>   4 Thread 21  0x4857008b in select () from /usr/lib/libc.so.12
>   3 Thread 22  0x4857013f in nanosleep () from /usr/lib/libc.so.12
>   2 Thread 69  0x4857013f in nanosleep () from /usr/lib/libc.so.12
> * 1 Thread 70  0x482e5f65 in write () from /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0
> (gdb) thread ex all
> 0x48fc0000: thread   70 in kernel
> 0x48f80000: thread   69 in kernel
> 0x48f40000: thread   22 in kernel
> 0x48b40000: thread   21 in kernel
> 0xbfbc0000: thread    0 in kernel

OK. All the userland threads are sleeping in the kernel (actually,
they probably woke up from their original system call, tried to
deliver a UNBLOCKED upcall, and are sleeping waiting for a stack to
become avaliable). The fact that there's still a thread consuming CPU
probably means another bug in libpthread.. possibly in the
resolve_locks dance in pthread_sa.c; more likely a spinlock count is
going negative somewhere, which will confuse the resolve_locks algorithm.

This is i386, right (guessing from the address of thread 0)? I'll send
you some additional debugging tools in a little bit.

> If I get the point the sa_nstacks is running out because the stacks aren't
> recycle properly, so someware in kern_sa.c it "leaks stacks"?

That's one possibility... more likely, though, is that the userland
code is wedged in a state where it doesn't get around to recycling the
used stacks back to the kernel.

        - Nathan