Subject: Re: root device
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/10/2003 10:06:59
On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 09:18:04AM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:

 > Uhm, I think that Jason changed that recently. Pseudo-devices now all
 > attach under a pseudo-device-parent node, which is under the root node.

No, not all pseudo-devices have a pseudo-device-parent node:

	1. Not even all pseudo-devices appear in the device tree; only
	   ones which need to have children do.

	2. The parent of pseudo-devices that are in the device tree is
	   ROOT.  It would be fine with me to change it to PSEUDO (and
	   define such a value, obviously), but then you'd need to make
	   sure that all the places that test for ROOT also test for
	   PSEUDO.

 > That way pseudo-devices can parent real devices.

That is actually orthogonal to how the pseudo-device is attached.