Subject: Re: bi-directional pipes?
To: NetBSD Kernel Technical Discussion List <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jorgen Lundman <lundman@lundman.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/05/2003 11:15:35
I must admin I have used, and do use, bi-directional pipes. I like the
idea of sitting in a select() / poll() for all my IO, sockets, files and
child/spanwed processes, and using both read() and write() on the one
socket. To be portable I then have to either;

- use two pipes just for child/spawned process communication
- use socketpair() to ensure bi-directional.

As it happens I tend to go for tha latter as it will work under Win32 as
well (manual socketpair though) with nonblocking etc.

Just my 2p and just a weak argument (clean code) :)

Lundy

--
Jorgen Lundman       | <lundman@lundman.net>
Unix Administrator   | +81 (0)3 -5456-2687 ext 1017 (work)