Subject: Re: bi-directional pipes?
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Brian Chase <vaxzilla@jarai.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/04/2003 19:01:56
On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, David Laight wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 06:22:00AM -0800, Matt Thomas wrote:

> > You can always use socketpair() to get bidirectional pipes.
> >
> > So I'd say simplify...
>
> For compatibility with SVR4 we should support bi-directional pipes.

And if we don't bi-directional pipes, isn't it likely to break binaries
from other OSes that need them when those binaries are run under NetBSD
in a compatibility mode?

It's one thing to make someone code around the problem, but it seems
like it'd be a bit more problematic if all you've got is a binary and no
way to recompile it to /not/ rely on bi-directional pipes.

-brian.