Subject: non executable stack
To: None <>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/02/2003 19:16:36
Hi all

Where are we exactly with respect to non executable stack? Jason
switched our signal implementation to a libc version, thus removing the
need at this level.

As far as I understand the problem, we have the following problems:
- COMPAT_* Binaries need executable stacks, we will never be able to fix
that, but at least we can try to do non executable stacks for our
natives binaries
- C++ code needs to execute the stack. Is there a way of dealing with
- i386 is unable to have a non executable page which is writable.

The C++ issue is only for userland processes, we have no C++ in the
kernel. What would prevent us from having non executable heap and stacks
for kernel space on non i386 CPUs?

And for userland process, do we have some plans?

Emmanuel Dreyfus.
Microsoft is not the answer, Microsoft is the question.
"No, thank you" is the answer.