Subject: non executable stack
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/02/2003 19:16:36
Hi all

Where are we exactly with respect to non executable stack? Jason
switched our signal implementation to a libc version, thus removing the
need at this level.

As far as I understand the problem, we have the following problems:
- COMPAT_* Binaries need executable stacks, we will never be able to fix
that, but at least we can try to do non executable stacks for our
natives binaries
- C++ code needs to execute the stack. Is there a way of dealing with
that?
- i386 is unable to have a non executable page which is writable.

The C++ issue is only for userland processes, we have no C++ in the
kernel. What would prevent us from having non executable heap and stacks
for kernel space on non i386 CPUs?

And for userland process, do we have some plans?

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus.
Microsoft is not the answer, Microsoft is the question.