Subject: Re: DEV_B_SIZE
To: Steve Byan <stephen_byan@maxtor.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 02/01/2003 08:44:54
The only reason I can see for supporting 512byte reads is to allow
them to to be used as system disks without requiring a BIOS update.

I suspect that the only reason that the BSD systems don't support
sector sizes other than 512 is a lack of test media.
Indeed someone has recently gone through the netbsd code getting
it to work with (IIRC) 1k blocks for a specific disk.

With a test sample the ffs support would be fixed in a few days,
and probably backported to recent releases within a few weeks.

No one using windows will care :-) you could lock the ATA bus
a few times a day and they'd just reset and continue. :-)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk