Subject: Re: DEV_B_SIZE
To: Steve Byan <stephen_byan@maxtor.com>
From: Nathan Hawkins <utsl@quic.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/31/2003 14:50:42
On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 02:10:54PM -0500, Steve Byan wrote:
> Thanks, I'm aware of the excellent CMU paper. In fact, if anyone wants
> a way to get the complete physical geometry of Maxtor SCSI disks just
> by reading mode-pages, email me and I can supply the details.

I'd be interested in that. Are those published?

>  My concern is with the proposed backward-compatibility mode, which I
> fear subtly breaks the failure semantics which systems with persistent
> storage rely upon to recover.

You might want to talk with Veritas. I'm pretty sure their Volume
Manager's log subdisks assume 512-byte sectors.

More generally, what impact would this have on existing RAID
implementations, hardware or software? This is a potentially more
damaging impact than filesystem semantics.

	---Nathan