Subject: Re: VGA driver changes for machines without built-in font
To: None <>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/25/2003 03:04:19
In article <> wrote:

> > At the first time I added 'options VGA_NO_BUILTIN_FONT'
> > to disable all related changes, but I removed it because
> > it was also useful to use optional fonts even on i386.
> Is it possible to set a higher resolution (even 800*600) so that
> you can do 132*40 characters?

Well, it depends how MI VGA driver is implemented.
(My patch just reset VGA into mode 3 to make MI VGA driver work.)
AFAIK current MI VGA only supports up to 80x50 characters
on 640x400 screen mode with 8x8 pixel font.

According to pcvt driver(*), maybe we have to handle chipset dependent
part to support 132 column mode (because genuine VGA doesn't
support 800x600), but I think it should be done by chipset dependent
drivers as Jason and Martin said before.

Izumi Tsutsui