Subject: Re: Technical Differences of *BSD and Linux
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/24/2003 10:49:14
[dropped linux-kernel]

Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, arief_mulya wrote:

> > 4. Any chance of merging the very best part of each kernel?
> > 5. Or is it possible to do so?
>
> No, I don't forsee merging. der Mouse pointed out the GPL issue, which is
> one where I think the BSD and Linux folks will just agree to disagree.

Besides some big issues of ideology, there is also the issue of some strong
personalities in the various camps that simply do not get along well with
the other strong personalities in other camps.  Some of the lines of
division just happen to keep these people apart and further away from each
others throats.

Trying to do mergers in the past (yes, it has been tried) has caused
collisions with consequences that lingered for quite some time.  Past
experience has shown that failed merger attempts have been damaging because
the resulting bad feelings interfere with cooperation and cross-pollination
for some time.

To the original poster: This kind of posting is very unhelpful.  If you
want to learn about the different systems, subscribe to some of the mailing
lists for each group, and watch for a while so that you can build your own
understanding of what is going on in the respective groups.

Cheers,
-Peter