Subject: Re: Technical Differences of *BSD and Linux
To: Josef El-Rayes <j.el-rayes@godskitchen.org>
From: Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/24/2003 05:16:05
[follow-ups to kernelnewbies@kernelnewbies.org, please]

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Josef El-Rayes wrote:

> as you can see your questions are not very welcome on the mailinglists,
> therefore i advice you to have a look at this book if you are interested
> in BSD's technical background

There is one mailing list where this kind of discussion probably
would be welcome, the kernelnewbies mailing list. Personally I'd
really like more things related to BSD, Hurd and other freely
available systems on the kernelnewbies mailing list, irc channel,
etc.  I might have founded #kernelnewbies to help people with Linux
questions, but it was never my intention to limit it to Linux
kernel stuff only.

> Title: The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System
>
> Authors: McKusick, Bostic, Karels and Quarterman
> Publisher: Addison-Wesley
>
> 4.4BSD is what NetBSD, OpenBSD and FreeBSD are basing on.
>
> For Linux i cant help you.

I can recommend Understanding the Linux Kernel, 2nd edition.

Other people have recommended various other kernel related
books, you can find a small list on:

	http://kernelnewbies.org/books.php3

cheers,

Rik