Subject: Re: Problems with serial console redirection
To: , <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@lothlorien.nfbcal.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/17/2003 14:32:12
	Hello David.  Youve probably already gotten many responses on this
question, so I'll  add my thoughts.
	It sounds like you have the console redirected fine, but you don't
have getty turned on to allow logins on the port once the machine is
booted.  To test this, if you can boot single user, you'll get a prompt to
"type the name of a program or hit return for sh" on the console when it's
about to go into single user mode on the redirected console.  Hit return.
If you get a "#" prompt, then you know you've redirected the console
properly and you just have to figure out
which port you should enable in /etc/ttys to get login prompts to show up
on the port when the machine is in multiuser mode.  The easiest way I can
think of to do this is to type "tty" at the "#" prompt in single user mode
to get the system to tell you which tty port you're using.  You'll probably
see something like:
/dev/tty00
or
/dev/tty01

Then, edit /etc/ttys and look for the line which matches
your console port.  I.e. if it says, /dev/tty00, look for a line that
begins with tty00.
Then, make it look like:

tty00	"/usr/libexec/getty std.57600"	unknown	on local secure

This says, run getty on the port, set the baud rate to 57600, do not
require carrier detect to enable the login prompt, and allow root to login
to the port without  a password in single user mode.

	Now, reboot.  When booting is finished, you should be presented
with a login prompt, and should be able to login.
-Brian