Subject: Re: VGA driver changes for machines without built-in font
To: Izumi Tsutsui <>
From: Wojciech Puchar <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/15/2003 15:45:23
>   it's a bit ugly.
> - Each VGA chipset would have "extra" registers and they should also
>   be initialized (at least to support text mode), but there is
>   no generic way to do it. For my NEC_J96A, MD consinit has
>   a function gd54xx_initregs() (it's required to make textmode working),
>   but I can't find any docs for the chipset so I'm using values taken
>   from PC which uses the same Cirrus chip, but the most left bits on
>   the screen are displayed wrong place (offset some lines).

in fact we will need lots of procedures like gd54xx_initregs for every
know gfx card (maybe just manufacturer). this would be really useful for
PC's with more than one GFX card, as bios does not initialize them. it
will be useful for any non-PC machines with PCI bus with PCI graphics

i thing something general will be usable like:

and vga drives should try to initialize card if it's not already

this will be really usable when lots of initialization code for many card
will be written, but it's good for the beginning.

it will be REALLY useful!