Subject: Re: File System Startup
To: Kyle Unice <kyle@midnighttech.com>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/07/2003 12:56:40
"Kyle Unice" <kyle@midnighttech.com> writes:
> We have NetBSD 1.5.2 running on an embedded system with a RAM disk.  We
> gzip the ramdisk in flash then gunzip it to ram.  The issue is that the
> embedded system needs to get to a state quickly to service interrupts
> etc. and the gunzip is a lengthy process.

FYI, the gunzip should not, in fact, be a lengthy process -- it should
only take moments -- well under a second -- on any processor built in
the last five years or even longer. If it is taking a long time,
perhaps the issue is with the way the gunzip code is being run etc?
For example, perhaps you don't have the cache enabled when your gunzip
is going or some other similar issue that is radically slowing the
process.

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@piermont.com