Subject: Re: kernel filesystem code move
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/07/2003 10:15:51

> Most normal usage of CVS would never encounter this, but in case it does bite
> you some day, I thought it might be worth mentioning here (plus several
> people on ICB were curious).
>
> Where I work some developers had at one point used "cvs commit -r<rev>" to
> bump the major revision of some files.  At some point, those same files were
> cvs remove'd.  Still later, they attempted to add files with the same
> name to those directories.

Ah - I would bump the major revision of all files in the repository [1] [2]
and also ensure that any new files added picked up that new revesion.
ie using the major number as a revision of the repository rather
that that of a single file.

OTOH most of my experience is with scripts front-ending SCCS for
a small number of users.

[1] next time they had a delta generated.
[2] maybe only a large subtree

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk