Subject: Re: kernel filesystem code move
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/05/2003 21:05:59
> As a variation on the ``copy files and import the "new file" with
> a commit message saying "this is moved from foo/bar/baz"'', why not
> also include in the initial commit a copy of the cvs log of the old
> file (possibly culled and/or reformatted a bit).

It is probably also worth making the CVS id of the actual file
continue to increment monatonically.
ie make the new file have revision 1.xxx+1 if the old one was 1.xxx
(rather than starting again at 1.1).

FWIW why does no one (except me) ever increment the first number?
I would have thought it would be worth doing at every major source
freeze (eg near the point where a release branch occurs).

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk