Subject: Re: kernel filesystem code move
To: Luke Mewburn <>
From: David Laight <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 01/05/2003 21:05:59
> As a variation on the ``copy files and import the "new file" with
> a commit message saying "this is moved from foo/bar/baz"'', why not
> also include in the initial commit a copy of the cvs log of the old
> file (possibly culled and/or reformatted a bit).

It is probably also worth making the CVS id of the actual file
continue to increment monatonically.
ie make the new file have revision if the old one was
(rather than starting again at 1.1).

FWIW why does no one (except me) ever increment the first number?
I would have thought it would be worth doing at every major source
freeze (eg near the point where a release branch occurs).

David Laight: