Subject: Re: kernel filesystem code move
To: None <explorer@flame.org>
From: None <cgd@broadcom.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/27/2002 14:22:07
At Fri, 27 Dec 2002 22:10:51 +0000 (UTC), "Michael Graff" wrote:
> With repository copy, rather than using CVS commands, you can maintain
> history.  I do this a lot, using "cp" to copy the ,v files to a new
> spot, then doing "cvs rm" to remove the old ones, with a comment
> pointing to the new spot.

Actually, the way i see it, by using 'copy' you _LOSE_ critical
revision history information:

Using 'copy' you make it seem like a file existed in a certain place
before it actually did.  This is true even if you mark earlier
revisions as dead; those revisions simply shouldn't have been there,
in that location.

Doing repository copies can also not work in certain circumstances,
e.g. where you have an existing file of the same name (i.e., that has
been deleted, and you're moving something back to rename).

If you want to preserve history, put int a log message: "file moved to
foo from bar."

And then people can look at this revision control history say "ahh,
that's the history before that date" and go look there.

using repository copies is just losing.

cgd
--
Chris Demetriou                                            Broadcom Corporation
Principal Design Engineer                     Broadband Processor Business Unit