Subject: Re: wedges vs. not-quite-wedges, was > 1T filesystems, disklabels,
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/22/2002 15:19:16
On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, David Laight wrote:

> > You've just described (in brief) the wedges config file. While I don't
> > like the fact that if you radically adjust an mbr extended partition (set)
> > things will move around, I don't see what else you can do since the
> > alternative, the history file, is worse.
>
> Not really, the wedges config file would be telling you what to
> expect and where it would be (all the problems of sitting on
> stale info that the current disklabel has when it points outside
> the netbsd partition).
>
> I was still going to drive the identification from the disk
> partitioning info (as you suggested), but validate against the
> saved info as a sanity check to ensure (as suggested on another
> leaf of this thread) that you don't run a ufs fsck on a msdos filesystem
> or do an rm -rf on what isn't /tmp any more.

Ahhh... I didn't understand that from what you were saying.

If we feel the need, we can probably add that later.

I don't think we will have the fsck_ffs on an msdos file system as we will
look to the disklabel(s), and they will indicate fs type. I'm hoping
fsck_ffs checks the fs type of course....

Take care,

Bill