Subject: Re: emulation initialization
To: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/22/2002 12:47:22
On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 05:02:26PM +0100, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:
> For COMPAT_MACH, I need to initialize some global lists on system
> startup.

It's not possible to statically initialize these lists?  Are you
allocating memory?  If so, how much?

> The best way I thought about it would be to add a e_init field
> to struct emul. e_init would point to a function called at system boot
> time.

Another case to worry about is modloaded emulations..

BTW, if you want to allow unloading of emulations, we'd need an e_fini.

Note that we already have another mechanism to allow "generic"
subsystems to register constructors at kernel link time: pseudo-device
attach routines.

					- Bill