Subject: panic with fxp/ifmedia_set (i82557)
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Rickard <mjr318@psu.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/21/2002 15:55:15
I'm setting up an old Compaq Deskpro P166MMX system with an Intel NIC
based on the i82557 chipset.  When booting the kernel, the NIC is detected
properly, but panics on ifmedia_set.  The relevant output is shown below.

fxp0 at pci dev 4 function 0: Intel i82557 Ethernet, rev 1
fxp0: interrupting at irq 11
fxp0: Ethernet address 00:a0:c9:19:0a:0a
iophy0 at fxp0 phy 1: i82553 10/100 media interface, rev. 0
iophy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseT4
ifmedia_set: no match for 0x20/0xfffffff
panic: ifmedia_set
Stopped in pid 0 (swapper) at 0xc027bb0c:   leave

It seems like it isn't negotiating the link speed properly.  I'm pretty
sure this particular card can't do 100baseTX, but it should definitely
work at 10baseT.  It did run properly at 10mbps under OpenBSD, so I know
the card is good.

Any ideas on what's going wrong here?  Is there some way to skip the
ifmedia detection and force it into 10mbps?  Is this a bug in the code for
the driver itself?

If there's anymore information you'd like me to provide just let me know.

-Matt