Subject: Re: wedges vs. not-quite-wedges, was > 1T filesystems, disklabels, etc
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/21/2002 10:51:44
> I faintly remember Linux also knows names for partitions but I think
> they use some random strings which are not suitable for humans to
> remember.

If it put an identifier for the partition in the bpb (bytes 3-0x25
of sector 0 of the partition) that would also stop it being
totally confused when extended partitions get added or deleted.

(A little digging later)
The format of sector 0 of a partition for dos/windows is described
in the sys/msdosfs/bpb.h and bootsect.h.  The size (and layout)
changed between dos3.3 and dos 5.0.  netbsd's boot code pays
lip-service to the dos3.3 format.

Anyone fancy dumping the first sector of each partition on
a linux system to see what format it uss?

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk