Subject: Re: wedges vs. not-quite-wedges, was > 1T filesystems, disklabels, etc
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.dez.zwei@onlinehome.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/21/2002 02:54:31
David Laight wrote:

> If you can save enough stuff to generate a 'reasonably likely'
> disk fingerprint, you should be able to detect a disk being moved
> to a different controller - and reassign it the same logical disk
> number.

In the discussions cited at the start of this thread there was a
suggestion by Ty Sarna to introduce readable names for partitions (akin
to the AmigaOS concept, please bear with me :-). Couldn't this solve the
problem of moving disks? And being able to refer to partitions also with
their assigned name would be real convenient (IMO).
I faintly remember Linux also knows names for partitions but I think
they use some random strings which are not suitable for humans to
remember.

ciao
     Klaus