Subject: Re: wedges vs. not-quite-wedges, was > 1T filesystems, disklabels, etc
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/20/2002 07:46:59
On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 03:53:10PM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > I have no idea.
>
> I'd suggest we do something like that.
>
> Actually, it would be VERY NICE to have the same disk layout as one or the
> other LVM. :-)
>
> I understand there is an IBM-ish LVM for Linux. :-)

There is EVMS, which includes support for many LVM formats, including AIX
and OS/2 voulmes.  EVMS1 which needs it's own kernel-level driver is
obsoleted now by EVMS2 that sits ontop of the devicemapper, which basically
is a simple in-kernel block-remapper like what's proposed here.  If you
implemented the devmapper API in NetBSD you could probably make that code
a port easily to support all those foreign LVMs :)