Subject: Re: wedges vs. not-quite-wedges, was > 1T filesystems, disklabels, etc
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/20/2002 09:57:38
On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 11:47:21PM +0100, Frank van der Linden wrote:
> > The specific features we're missing which I think should be fix:
> >     1. Mounting non-NetBSD filesystems  (from NetBSD).
>
> Hm? ext2fs, msdosfs, ntfs, etc? The only inconvenience there is
> that you have to 'find' them, i.e. NetBSD doesn't automatically
> find the partitions

Actually, it will, in the case where the mbr partitions existed at
the time the first synthetic netbsd label was created in-core.

Bill's proposal (or a number of other options) allow one type of
label to update the other each boot (even if the latter is now only
in-core). Sounds good to me.

> For MBR-using ports, mbrlabel(8) is useful to find the partitions.

Hot damn!  I wish I'd known about that a few weeks ago. Neat.

--
Dan.