Subject: Re: wedges vs. not-quite-wedges, was > 1T filesystems, disklabels, etc
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/19/2002 14:56:19
Bill Studenmund writes:
> On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Frank van der Linden wrote:
>
> > I think I mostly agree with what you're proposing, except that you seem
> > to think that using on-disk partitions excludes 'LVM' type usage that
> > uses config files.
>
> Yes, I do, for a given disk. If we use a partition editor to lay them out,
> they are partitions, and we should act like it.
>
> If we want to go the LVM route (and I think WE DO and I'd LOVE it), we
> give the whole disk to the LVM route. My thought is that an LVM'd disk
> would have no defined partitions in the diskpart method.

In LVMland, a simple partition could be a "Physical Volume".  If an LVM'd disk
has no defined partitions in the diskpart method, then is that going to
exclude a "boot disk" from participating in an LVM?

I've mentioned this before in a few other places, but what I'd like to see
(e.g. for use w/ RAIDframe) is something like:

 1) The native disklabel looks "however it does" for that arch, and has zero
or more partitions "marked" as being "NetBSD".  (e.g. On i386, the MBR might
be the native disklabel with a primary or secondary partition(s) marked as
being "NetBSD".  Or the current disklabel might be the disklabel.   Whatever.
On Sun's, the existing sun disklabel would be the native label.)  The only
thing "NetBSD-specific" in a native label is some identification that
certain chunk(s) of the disk are "NetBSD".

 2) In each of the chunks marked as being "NetBSD", we put in our own
wizz-bang fancy slice/wedge/partition/LVM/RAID-labelling scheme.  The
information stored there might be as simple as offset, size, and type,
or as complex as a complete RAIDframe component label, or perhaps
something even more compilicated than that (LVM record of some sort?).
The metadata stored here could refer to any/all blocks/partitions on the disk,
be they NetBSD-specific or not.

The advantage is that once you get to the "metadata" specified in 2), it's
consistent across all NetBSD platforms.  The other advantage is that the
native disklabel now has much less NetBSD-specific stuff in it.  The primary
disadvantage is that other OS's might have to learn how to grok the NetBSD
metadata.  But a little "NetBSD metadata" library would take care of that...

Later...

Greg Oster