Subject: Re: PID_MAX and NO_PID
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/18/2002 22:40:47
> Another option might be, by default at least, to do something like
> [what] we do for ptys: allocate pids for native processes from the
> >16-bit part of the space first, saving pids for iBCS2 binaries in
> the low part of the space.  If we believe that iBCS2 binaries are
> unlikely to need to refer to native processes by pid (possible,
> though handling getppid() might be a bit iffy) this might work.

Actually, if the low part of the space is reserved for compatability,
then you can just give any "native" process to which a compatability
process tries to refer a compatability-range PID.

Provided the set of extant processes to which compatability processes
have referred is smaller (or at least no larger) than the set of
compatability PIDs, this should be doable, it seems to me.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign