Subject: Re: PID_MAX and NO_PID
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/18/2002 17:29:39
> Another option might be, by default at least, to do something like we
> do for ptys: allocate pids for native processes from the > 16-bit part
> of the space first, saving pids for iBCS2 binaries in the low part of
> the space.  If we believe that iBCS2 binaries are unlikely to need to
> refer to native processes by pid (possible, though handling getppid()
> might be a bit iffy) this might work.

More interesting would be to reserve a range of numbers near the
high end of the 16bit space and use it to remap pids for iBCS2
calls.

I'd certainly go for keeping pid numbers less than 99999 (or
even than 32767) until the system has a large number of concurrently
active processes.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk