Subject: re: PID_MAX and NO_PID
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/17/2002 21:15:33
[ On Wednesday, December 18, 2002 at 12:37:13 (+1100), matthew green wrote: ]
> Subject: re: PID_MAX and NO_PID
>
> i think we could safely raise PID_MAX to 99999.  but beyond
> this and suddenly you've got pids > 5 numbers for the first
> time and i don't know what will break.  i've heard of a few
> horror stories from IRIX (they have huge pids).

"Horror stories"?  I would think they'd be more like big funny jokes
that would make us laugh hilariously at the fools who thought PIDs where
fixed digit decimal numbers.

(besides, if some other fairly popular system like IRIX has already
broken this ground then what few bugs might be in portable third party
software have hopefully already been fixed)

--
								Greg A. Woods