Subject: Re: > 1T filesystems, disklabels, etc
To: None <>
From: Sean Davis <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/15/2002 22:04:00

The main thing I see as an advantage to FreeBSD's 'slice' implementation is=
ease of partitioning. If I had to choose one thing I miss most from FreeBSD
since the switch to NetBSD, it's the easy of preparing a new disk with
/stand/sysinstall. Sorry to be blunt, but disklabel *sucks* when you want t=
o get
a new disk up and running quickly. There is no intuitive interface in NetBSD
aside from sysinst itself, and, I did not want to have to install a new Net=
system on my new hard drive just to partition it easily. Having to calculate
everything to satisfy disklabel is a major PITA; especially when disklabel
itself complains on many valid things. (such as invalid partition name)

/~\ The ASCII
/ \ Email!