Subject: Re: > 1T filesystems, disklabels, etc
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/15/2002 18:47:46
# On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Frank van der Linden wrote:
#
# > 	   Solution:
# > 		implement wedges. It would be a waste to go for a
# > 	   	disklabel with 64-bit fields, since people agree that disklabels
# > 	   	should be phased out anyway.

...*what*?!?

I don't recall seeing such an agreement on this.  I'm not sure this
is a good idea; my immediate knee-jerk reaction (so take it for what
it's worth!) is, "Not only no, but..." (you know the rest).

As others have pointed out, Suns (and other things with "smart"
firmware booters...) still need disklabels.

Has anyone petitioned Sun to come up with a fix to OFW to handle more
partitions?

I wonder if it'd be possible to do given current FW; perhaps something
in the nvramrc to override the default disklabel code or something.

forth-programmer not I-am 1 eq.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: Network Your World.