Subject: Re: > 1T filesystems, disklabels, etc
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.dez.zwei@onlinehome.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/15/2002 15:40:12
Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> > c) amigaPart. Grabs like 16 partitions (I think that's an ok #) and fills
> > them in like now.
>
> That's what the current code does anyway, and I think the number is ok, too.

Maybe I'm an exception to the rule but I _did_ bump into the limit of
16 partitions on NetBSD/amiga (AmigaOS, 2x NetBSD, Debian for testing)
as well as on i386 (NetBSD, FreeBSD, Windows + rescueWindows, would like
to add some Linux).
On x86 I do not _have_ to add all partitions to the disklabel but I
I often found I left out those partitions I later found a need for.

It seems nowadays disks are too large for me to resist the temptation
of using them...

> Note that conceptually, the RDSK block just points to a linked list of
> PART blocks, with no upper limit on the number of partitions (other than
> the number of blocks in the first N blocks of the disk, with N only
> _guaranteed_ to be < the disk size).

That is one thing about AmigaOS which I always liked: few fixed (at
runtime) boundaries like 16/8 partitions on NetBSD/*NIX.

ciao
     Klaus