Subject: Re: > 1T filesystems, disklabels, etc
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 12/15/2002 15:14:44
On Sat, Dec 14, 2002 at 11:47:07PM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> I think we can get what everyone wants with something more of an
> intermediate step. Here's its proposal:

To play devils advocate: when we change disklabels, effectively inventing
a new format for NetBSD-native storage of this info (in all other cases we
don't have a choice, i.e. a sun will have to have a sun compatible disklabel
to load ofwboot at least) - why don't we go all the way and use this strange
new standard format that Intel enforces for its 64bit stuff - sorry I can't
remember the acronym.

It has well defined interaction with MBR, allows 16k slices, is completely
new and incompatible as well but is a standard (tm).

... or, of course, just go to wedges, only providing enough info for the first
parts of the boot process in (firmware-) native format.

Martin